On Saturday, the grocery store was giving out free bananas. The bananas were free because they were “overripe.” I didn’t mind because FREE bananas.
Day = made.
I knew when I got them that I had to make banana bread. After all, it’s fall. And fall seems like bread season to me.
This bread is delicious. How delicious? Well, in the past two days, I’ve eaten 2 and 1/2 mini loaves by myself. I can’t help it! Banana plus chocolate is such a good combination. And people don’t even know that this bread is vegan or that there’s an abnormal ingredient in it! I brought some bread to school today to share with non-vegan friends and they loved it. When I told them that the bread had tofu in it, they were surprised, but didn’t mind because they couldn’t taste it. Don’t be afraid of the tofu: you cannot taste it and it adds some extra protein, which is always a plus.
This bread is a perfect breakfast, snack, or dessert. Actually, you can eat it at any time of the day or night. If you can’t eat all the bread within a few days, freeze it or give it to someone as a gift (and make their day by doing so).
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Vegan, can be gluten-free with the substitution of gluten-free all-purpose flour instead of whole wheat or white flour.
Makes 6 mini loaves or 3 normal-sized loaves
by Ellie Haun
- 6 very ripe bananas
- 2 flax “eggs” (2 Tbs flaxseed meal + 6 Tbs water)
- ½ cup to 1 cup sugar, depending on how sweet you like your bread
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup soft silken tofu
- 1 and 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I use Ghiradelli semi-sweet)
- Make the flax “eggs” by mixing together the flaxseed meal and water. Cover this mixture and refrigerate for about 15 minutes to make it sticky and bindable.
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit
- Mix together the bananas until they’re mush.
- Add the flax “eggs” and mix together
- Add the sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla. Mix until just combined.
- Add the flour and mix until combined.
- Add the silken tofu and mix until combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix until just combined.
- Grease a mini or normal sized bread pan and fill 3/4 of the way full with batter.
- Cook for 40 minutes, or until no batter sticks to a knife if you stick it into the bread. Take the bread out of the oven, let it cool for 5 to 10 minutes, take it out of the pan, cut it, and ENJOY!