I apologize for the blogging absence, but I was on Spring Break! My family and I made the 17 hour drive from Michigan to South Carolina. It was a looooong drive, but it was totally worth it! We spent the week at Wild Dunes, a tennis and golf resort near Charleston, South Carolina. The trip to Wild Dunes was organized by my tennis coach and another coach from a nearby school. During the trip, I got to hang out and play tennis with a few other girls from my team and from another high school team. It was fun!
We arrived late Friday night after a full day of sitting in the car. We immediately checked into our condo and stumbled into bed. Our condo had 3 spacious bedrooms, an open floor concept, and a cute kitchen with cherry red cabinets.
We spent the majority of the week walking the beach, maxin’ and relaxin’ by the pool, cooking, baking, and playing tennis. It was a fun and relaxing week. I’m back at school today and it feels strange to have a schedule now!
Highlights of the trip include…
- finding five starfish with my friend Hannah! They were super cool, but touching them was weird because they felt like gravel conglomerated together. One stuck to my hand when I held it for a few minutes! Here’s a picture of my little friends.
- Biking ON the beach! DO IT if you’ve never done it before. It is SO FUN. I felt like I biked faster on the sand. It was fun to bike in and out of the surf (warning : you’ll get wet).
- Dinner at our condo with the other girls from my team who were also staying at Wild Dunes. My mom made the Tex-Mex Casserole from the Oh She Glows cookbook for dinner. It was delicious (9/10)! I made my all-time favorite cupcakes (pictured above) from my all-time favorite dessert cookbook, Chloe’s Vegan Desserts.
- We adventured to Charleston for the day. The jam-packed day included a nature hike, a horse and buggy ride around the city, and shopping (because who can resist the temptation of cute clothes? ).
- We drove to a chill restaurant called Dell’z Uptown for dinner, a vegan-friendly restaurant on the outskirts of Charleston. The restaurant was sketchy from the outside, with peeling dirty blue paint and cracked windows, but the food was good. I ordered “The Acorn,” which consisted of an acorn squash stuffed with quinoa, asparagus, mushrooms, and mango salsa + an avocado side salad (pictured on left). I was a bit skeptical about the mango & asparagus combo, but the meal was yummy! My mom ordered the “My Thai” bowl = veggies slathered with thai sauce on a bed of rice noodles. Our meals were tasty, but a word to the wise : don’t order the cheese pizza. My brother did, and he ended up with a piece of pita bread topped with Colby Jack cheese.
- Watching the Family Circle Cup, a tennis tournament on Daniel Island (outside of Charleston). I got to meet Madison Keys, a twenty-year-old tennis player who is ranked #20 in the world for women’s singles! She ended up getting second in the whole tournament!
We traveled to North Carolina this past weekend. The recap of our trip to Asheville, NC will be up later this week!
So that was what I’ve been up to this past week instead of blogging. What have you been up to? Have you had a spring break of some sort yet? If so, did you travel anywhere? Leave a comment below because I’d love to know!