Are you sick of strawberries yet? I’m not. In fact, I ate a quart and a half of them today! And I could have eaten a whole quart more… I’m a serious strawberry monster. When I pick berries, I probably eat as many as I pick!
Oh, how I love to
pick eat berries. Unfortunately, though, strawberry season is coming to a close. *sobs* No more strawberry picking until NEXT YEAR! That’s too long of a wait.
But no fear! You can use the rest of your berries in this delicious strawberry pie! And if strawberry season is over for you… don’t worry! You know what you can do? You can swap the strawberries in for raspberries when raspberry season starts next week (HOORAH).
HOORAH FOR STRAWBERRIES AND HOORAH FOR PIE (WOW capital letters are fun to use).
Simple Strawberry pie (vegan, can be gluten free)
makes 1 pie
- 1 quart of strawberries, washed and with stems cut off — half the strawberries will be in the sauce, and half the berries will be cut into slices for the pie filling.
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons flour (gluten free flour = gluten free pie)
- a dash of salt
- 1 of your favorite vegan (/ gluten free) pie crust
- Prepare the pie crust as needed. I had to poke holes in my crust and bake it at 350 F for 8-10 minutes (until it was golden-brown).
- Cut half the strawberries into small slices.
- Add cut strawberries into the prepared pie crust.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining strawberries, sugar, salt, and flour into a medium saucepan. Smush the berries as best you can and cook the mixture until thick, stirring constantly. This will take 6-8 minutes. You want it thick enough that it won’t spill all over once you pour it into the pie crust, but you don’t want it too thick that it won’t cover the whole pie.
- Pour the “sauce” into the pie crust.
- Chill the pie in the refrigerator, overnight or for at least for 6 hours.
- Cut and serve with vegan whipped cream, coconut cream, or vegan ice cream!