ONE OF THE FIRST QUESTIONS PEOPLE ASK ME WHEN THEY FIND OUT I AM VEGAN IS, “WHAT DO YOU EAT ON A DAILY BASIS?”
Well, the answer to that question changes depending on my schedule and the season!
For BREAKFAST, I’ll typically have one of the following meals.
- a green smoothie
- banana ice cream (frozen bananas and a dash of vegan milk blended together)
- a pumpkin date scone (recipe here)
- homemade muffins with a side of fruit
LUNCH changes depending on what day of the week it is.
- Weekdays during the school year (September-June), I will normally pack a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (hence “Peanut Butter and Ellie”), a piece of fruit, and some sort of dessert.
- On weekends (or weekdays during the summer), I will typically sauté veggies and eat them with hummus. I’ll also eat fruit and dessert (I MUST eat dessert and chocolate every day!!!).
I normally eat two snacks a day. I eat one before lunch and one around 3 or 4 pm (after school). SNACKS are…
- plain fruit
- fruit slathered with nut butter
- veggies + hummus
DINNER normally comes from one of my favorite vegan cookbooks. My mom and I love to cook dinner together, but sometimes that just doesn’t happen. Normally, we’ll make a vegan dinner one night and my brother (and sometimes dad) will eat non-vegan leftovers. The next night, my mom will make a fresh non-vegan dinner for the boys and we will eat leftovers.
Some of our favorite meals include Chloe Coscarelli’s “Pineapple Not-So-Fried Rice,” “Orange You Glad I Made Crispy Tofu,” Peanut Noodles, and “Stuffed Shells in Arrabbiata Sauce” (all of these recipes are from her first cookbook, Chloe’s Kitchen).
*Click on the links above for some of the recipes!*
When I’m in a hurry, I make quick and easy meals. Two of my favorite quick and easy meals are spaghetti with marinara sauce (I like Barilla’s traditional marinara sauce) and a veggie quesadilla with vegan cheese.
This is the meal plan that I’ve found to work for me. It may or may not work for you! How much, how little, and what you eat depends on your body type and how much physical activity you get every day. Basically this is me telling you to eat whatever your body wants you to eat! If your body is craving carrots, eat carrots. If it’s craving chocolate, eat chocolate! I’ve found a vegan diet of both raw and cooked foods works best for me.
I would highly recommend a vegan diet and lifestyle to everyone!