This fresh chickpea “tuna” bowl is one of my favorite summer lunches.
It’s so easy to make, it only takes like five minutes to make, has five ingredients, AND it’s protein-packed. Plus it’s yummy… but it wouldn’t be on the blog if it wasn’t! It’s packed with some of my favorite ingredients: chickpeas, celery, and fresh tomatoes (from work!).
Believe it or not, tomorrow is my last day working at the hydroponic tomato hut. Say what!? Where did the summer go?
I have mixed feelings about my last day of picking tomatoes. On one hand, it’ll be nice to be done with work for the summer. Plus, I won’t get so dirty ever again- that is, unless I work there again next summer, which IS a possibility.
On the other hand, it means summer is almost over. Which stinks because summer is my absolute favorite season. Also, I won’t be picking any more tomatoes which means I won’t get to bring any more tomatoes home. I’m seriously going to go through fresh tomato withdrawal. Which is why it’s a good thing that the cherry tomatoes from my garden are ready- at least I’ll have those to eat!
Beautiful purple tomatoes from my family’s little square foot garden. Perfect for snacking!
Other than working at the tomato hut, I babysat a lot this summer. Boy do I have stories to tell about that. One boy I sat for almost shocked his dog to death with a shock collar that his grandmother gave to him to use, and another family I babysit for had to come to my rescue with putting a stop to it while we were out on a walk. By the end of the night, I wanted to cry. Mostly for the poor dog who was probably in a lot of pain. That’s the worst thing that happened though, besides having to babysit six kids by myself multiple times (HARD work). Other than that, babysitting this summer consisted of lots of beach days, trips to the candy & ice cream store, and outside playtime. Fun stuff.
Within the next week I’ll be posting some snapshots from my summer for you!
But before then, let’s all enjoy this chickpea “tuna” bowl. Because it’s summer, and it’s nice out so you don’t want to spend a lot of time inside preparing food, and there’s a lot of fresh produce to use.
Chickpea “Tuna” Bowl
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp Vegenaise (or other vegan mayonnaise)
- 2 celery stalks, washed and sliced into ½ inch pieces
- 1/4 tsp coarse seasoning salt
- 2 tomatoes, optional but recommended
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then add them to a large bowl.
- Mix in the Vegenaise.
- Smash the chickpea mixture with a fork (so it looks more like tuna).
- Chop the celery then add it into the mixture.
- Either serve “as is” in bowls or on bread as a sandwich OR add in tomato and serve in bowls. OR you can hollow out the tomato as a bowl and spoon the chickpea mixture into it. YUM.