Remember that lavender recipe I promised you last week? Well here it is!
My mom and I purchased some cooking lavender to bake with when we road tripped to a lavender farm earlier this summer.When we were at the farm, my mom got lemon lavender ice cream. She said it was super refreshing, and that ice cream inspired us to make this similarly flavored bread together. It’s a sweet, refreshing bread that’s perfect for a sugary breakfast or an afternoon pick-me-up snack. I hope you love it as much as we did!
Lemon Lavender Bread
Makes 3 mini loaves or one large loaf
Inspired by this recipe
For the bread:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 flax egg (3 Tbsp flax seed meal + 1 Tbsp warm water)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup oil
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons dried lavender
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (zest from one small lemon)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make the flax egg by combining the flax seed meal and water in a small bowl. Mix it together, cover it, and put it in the fridge for about 15 minutes to help it conglomerate.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt) to a large bowl.
- Add in the milk, oil, and lemon juice to the dry mixture and whisk until just combined.
- Add in the flax egg and whisk until combined.
- Mix in the lemon zest and lavender.
- Oil the bottom and sides of mini bread pans.
- Pour each bread pan 2/3s full with batter.
- Bake the loaves for 35 to 40 minutes, depending on how hot your oven gets.
- Let the bread cool for about an hour after taking it out of the oven before topping it with glaze.
- For the glaze: Whisk the powdered sugar, lemon juice, water, and lemon zest together in a small bowl until smooth. Then drizzle the glaze over each loaf and ENJOY!