Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Are you Irish? Are you lucky? No matter the answer to the previous questions, do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? I feel like here in the U.S. it’s crazy NOT to celebrate this day of luck!
What do you do for St. Patrick’s Day?
I was brainstorming what I should do to celebrate this holiday, and the only thing I could think of was to celebrate with food! So I made this smoothie bowl for breakfast. It’s topped with a leprechaun because leprechauns are super cute and St. Patrick’s Day-ish.
I also made another rainbow version of it in case you like rainbows more than leprechauns! They’re both pretty festive, since apparently you can find a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow and this gold is supplied by little leprechauns. Make either of these smoothies for breakfast, lunch, or dinner to celebrate this day and you will have all the luck of the leprechaun!!
St. Patrick’s Day Smoothie Bowls
The Base (for both bowls):
- ½ a frozen banana
- 1 cup blueberries (I used frozen)
- 3/4 to 1 cup of nondairy milk (I used Silk vanilla soy milk since it has a sweet vanilla taste that I like)
- the other ½ of the frozen banana
- 3-4 strawberries
- ½ to 3/4 cup nondairy milk
- 1 big carrot, washed and shredded for the beard
- 2 blueberries for the eyes
- 1 strawberry cut in half for the mouth
- 2 raw cashews for the eyebrows
- 2 almonds- 1 whole one for the nose and one cut in ½ for the ears
- 3-4 spinach leaves for the hat
- a few banana slices for the hat brim
- 10 whole strawberries (or raspberries)
- carrot slices
- banana slices (you could use pineapple or mango slices here, I just didn’t have any fresh pineapple or mango to use)
- spinach slices (or use green grapes if you have them)
- coconut shreds
Put the base in the blender and blend it until it’s smooth. Pour the base smoothie into a bowl.
For the leprechaun smoothie bowl: Rinse out your blender and make the leprechaun “face” smoothie. Pour it on top of the base smoothie. You might need to spoon it out of the blender and into the bowl to shape it. Wash a big carrot and shred it with a grater into small shreds. Sprinkle these shreds on top of the “face” smoothie. Add on blueberry eyes, cashew eyebrows, almond ears and an almond nose, a berry mouth, and tear spinach into the shape of a hat and place it on top of the leprechaun’s “head.” Cut a few banana coins, then cut them in half again and add them to the top of the “hat.” Say hi to your friend… then eat him!!
For the rainbow smoothie bowl: Wash and cut your fruit and veggie toppings, then arrange it all in a color-coordinated arc to make a rainbow. Sprinkle the ends of the “rainbow” with coconut flakes to represent clouds! You could also add light-colored granola to the end of the rainbow to represent gold coins. Serve and enjoy!