Earlier this week I came home from a long day of school and play practice to find that my mom had made apple crisp. The best part, besides the fact that it was fresh out of the oven? It was vegan! She’d veganized our family’s crisp recipe for me… reason number 7562 why I love her.
I’m going to keep this post brief because I have to go do homework, but I just have to say you NEED this apple crisp in your life!
Here’s a list of reasons why this crisp is great:
- it has a melt-in-your mouth crumb topping
- it can be topped with ICE CREAM
- it’s full of fruit, so it’s healthier than other desserts
- it’s the perfect way to celebrate apple season
Is this list not enough for you? Here are some more pictures:
Go to an apple orchard (or the farmer’s market), get a bunch of apples, and use them in this sweet apple crisp! Top with vegan ice cream (I like So Delicious vanilla) and enjoy!
Serves 6 (makes one 9 inch pan full)
- 6 apples, sliced
- ½ cup vegan margarine (I use Earth Balance)
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup oats
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel the apples and slice them into long slices. Layer them in a 9 inch square dish/ pan.
- Soften the vegan margarine.
- To make the topping, mix all the topping ingredients together and mash them with a fork. Generously sprinkle on top of the apples.
- Put the crisp in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the topping is golden-brown and the apples are soft.
- Let cool, slice, and enjoy! The crisp is great on its own, but a scoop of vegan ice cream on top makes it even better!